Westside Midwives is pleased to welcome two UBC Midwifery students to our practice from September 2017 – April 2018. Both Eleanor and Gillian are senior students, which means that they will be completing their fourth and final year of clinical placements with us.
We now have Medela breastpumps (manual and single/double electric) on display at Westside Midwives. Feel free to take them down and have a look at them if you are interested. If you have questions about breastpumps or would like to discuss expressing milk in general, please let your midwife know so that this can be covered at a future visit.
The kind folks at Medela have also provided Westside Midwives with a limited supply of $50 off coupons for double breastpumps at Crocodile Baby (http://www.crocodilebaby.com/shop-by-category/bath-bum/feeding/breast-pumps-pump-bags-accessories). These coupons are good until October 2017.
We’re hiring! We’re looking for someone awesome to join our admin team in June to cover a maternity leave. Please see the job posting below.
Midwifery Office Assistant
We are looking for someone highly motivated and enthusiastic with the following qualifications:
- Friendly and professional, with excellent interpersonal skills
- Passionate about providing an outstanding level of care and support for our clients, as well as the midwives working at the clinic.
- A high level of computer skills, including familiarity with Microsoft Office.
- Previous experience OSCAR is an asset, or ability to learn new systems quickly.
- Exceptional ability for multi-tasking, prioritizing and functioning in a fast-paced and demanding environment.
- Knowledgeable and supportive of the midwifery model in BC.
- Previous administrative or office management experience
- Previous training as a medical office assistant (MOA) is an asset, but not necessary.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently.
- Interested in a long-term commitment to our clients and clinic – the position could become permanent.
- Cultivating good working relationships with our clients and midwives, other clinics, and other health care practitioners.
- Answering the phone and e-mails, providing information about midwifery to prospective clients and other health care practitioners, relaying client messages to the midwives on call
- Booking daily appointments in our clinic and as well as coordinating appointments for clients with hospitals, ultrasound facilities and specialist clinics.
- Performing administrative duties such as photocopying, scanning, monitoring and reordering clinic supplies, preparing charts, filing paperwork
- Assisting in keeping the clinic organized and tidy.
- Overseeing volunteers.
We provide a warm, supportive work environment and a somewhat flexible schedule within normal business hours. The position will be approximately 25 hours per week. Availability on Mondays and Tuesdays and Wednesdays is necessary. Wages to be discussed.
Please email resume and cover letter to westsidemidwives.HR@gmail.com
Westside Midwives is pleased to welcome two UBC Midwifery students to our practice next week.
Marella Falat is a 4th year midwifery student and will be working with the Blue Team from September 2016-April 2017
Michelle Tran is a 2nd year midwifery student and will be working with Green Team from September 2016-April 2017
More information about our students can be found here.
Welcome to Westside Midwives, Michelle and Marella!
We are thrilled to be hosting classes for expectant and new parents at Westside Midwives in our renovated clinic space! One of our clinic goals is to foster community connections by bringing together programs that are relevant to our clientele.
At the moment, there are prenatal classes offered by Dancing Star Childbirth, first-aid for infants offered by Safe Beginnings, and infant massage/tummy-time courses offered by our in-house Registered Massage Therapist Gaelen Gibson.
In the future we are hoping to be able to host the local chapter of La Leche League Canada and the Mother’s Unfolding program also offered through Dancing Star Childbirth. If you have ideas for other programming that would be relevant to Midwifery care please do be in touch!
Please join the Vancouver Department of Midwives for a community screening of the film “Microbirth” on Thursday May 5, 2016 at the York Theatre, 639 Commercial Drive. From their website: ““Microbirth” is a new 60 minute documentary investigating the latest scientific research about the microscopic events happening during childbirth. These events could have life-long consequences for the health of our children and potentially could even impact mankind.”
This thought-provoking film will appeal to parents, parents-to-be, birth workers, healthcare providers; really anyone with a curiosity about the impact of early bacterial exposure that occurs during childbirth.
Doors at 6pm, Movie at 7pm, Panel Discussion and reception following. Tickets are $5 with all proceeds to the support the Pacific Postpartum Support Society. Please visit your local Midwifery Clinic to pick up tickets for event (including Westside Midwives!) We hope to see you there.
There are some changes to the faces you’ll see at Westside Midwives.
One of our lovely administrators, Lindsay, has moved on to have more time to commit to her studies and passion around investigating and promoting care for pregnant people in BC. While we’ll miss Lindsay at the front and her incredible administration skills, we still get to see her in another capacity as Leader for the Birthing from Within prenatal classes that have recently started at Westside Midwives.
UBC midwifery students Melissa Forsyth and Jade Bowman have finished their placements with Westside Midwives at the end of March. We are thrilled that Jade will come back in her capacity as Registered Midwife in June, to continue caring for clients on the Green team. We wish all the best to Melissa in her studies over the next two years.
To help us with administration over the summer, we are pleased to welcome Sarah Loewen to our team. Sarah is the new friendly voice you’ll hear on the phone and often see at the front. She is also a student in the UBC Midwifery program.
Thanks to all the “alumni” families who joined the midwives from the Blue Team to celebrate another year of babies and bellies. We are carrying the tradition we started at Open Door Midwifery- but with a venue closer to our news digs. We gathered at Jericho Beach on a Wednesday mid-September, and despite the iffy weather predictions, we saw the sun and a gorgeous sunset to boot. It’s such a treat to see the kids getting bigger every year. The highlights of the evening were catching up with so many families, discovering this year’s typos on the cake, and young Matt taking the balloon bouquet for a wander!
Hope to see you all at the picnic next year! Here’s a few pics of the cake because we’re notoriously bad at remembering to take interesting photos of parents and their cute kiddos. If you are a former client but didn’t hear about the picnic, please be in touch so we can add you to the invitation list for next year.
Westside Midwives is pleased to welcome two UBC Midwifery students to our practice.